4 Dead, 348 Arrested After Nationwide Fuel Protests

Kipchumba Murkomen has blamed political actors for the deadly chaos and looting witnessed during Monday’s nationwide anti-fuel protests, which left four people dead and at least 30 others injured across several counties.

Speaking at Harambee House on Monday evening, the Interior Cabinet Secretary condemned the violence that erupted in parts of Nairobi, Nakuru County, Kajiado County and Kakamega County, describing the fatalities as “unfortunate” while accusing a section of politicians of orchestrating unrest under the guise of public demonstrations.

Murkomen confirmed that 348 suspects had been arrested in connection with the protests, warning that the government would take firm action against individuals involved in what he termed as organised criminal activities.

“Looting businesses and vandalising public property can in no way bring down oil prices,” Murkomen said during the briefing.

“Disrupting transport and destroying livelihoods will only worsen the situation facing Kenyans.”

The protests, initially sparked by growing public anger over soaring fuel prices, quickly descended into violence in several towns, with incidents of looting, arson and clashes with police reported throughout the day.

According to the Interior CS, investigations are currently underway into a series of incidents witnessed during the demonstrations, including the torching of UDA offices, attacks on civilians, the burning of trucks and confrontations involving police officers.

In one of the most dramatic incidents reported, a supermarket allegedly linked to a UDA-allied Member of Parliament was reportedly looted in Nakuru County. Murkomen claimed the attacks appeared to be coordinated acts aimed at intimidating political opponents and destabilising public order.

“We are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is organising gangs to spread terror, intimidate government supporters, and profile those with different political opinions,” he stated.

“I know the burning of UDA offices was politically sponsored, and the persons responsible will be held to account.”

The CS further revealed that detectives were working to identify individuals behind attacks targeting civilians, businesses and security officers during the unrest.

Meanwhile, authorities spent much of Monday attempting to restore normal transport operations after major roads, including sections of Thika Road, were blocked by protesters for hours, causing severe traffic paralysis in and around the capital.

Murkomen said security agencies had largely succeeded in clearing the affected roads by Monday evening.

At the same time, transport stakeholders were locked in talks with officials from the Treasury and the Transport Ministry in a bid to prevent further disruption.

Earlier in the day, Albert Karakacha of the Matatu Owners Association urged the government to engage transport operators through dialogue, insisting that the strike action would continue until concerns over rising fuel prices were addressed.

The demonstrations come amid mounting pressure on the government over the rising cost of living, with fuel prices remaining a key source of frustration for many Kenyans already grappling with high transport and food costs.

Also Read: Fuel Protest Chaos Leaves Three Dead in Kimbo, Ruiru


Recent Articles