Kenya has moved swiftly to calm growing public fears over a possible Ebola outbreak after three suspected cases linked to travellers from the Democratic Republic of Congo tested negative, even as Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale placed 22 counties on high alert.

Speaking during a national briefing on Friday, May 22, Duale confirmed that no Ebola cases had been detected in the country despite rising concern triggered by viral social media claims and reports circulating online.
The Health CS revealed that three individuals who recently travelled from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) were isolated after presenting themselves at a health facility with illnesses unrelated to Ebola.
However, laboratory tests later ruled out the deadly virus.
“Kenya has not reported any confirmed cases of Ebola disease,” Duale stated.
“Three individuals with recent travel history from the DRC presented themselves to the hospital with unrelated illnesses, were isolated, tested, and the results came back negative.”
He added that four additional people who had accompanied the travellers to hospital were also traced, isolated and tested as part of emergency containment measures.
“Four additional contacts who had accompanied them to the hospital were also tested, assessed and found negative,” he said.
The clarification comes after panic spread online following claims that Uasin Gishu County had recorded a confirmed Ebola infection.
Authorities later dismissed the reports as false, warning that a fake letter allegedly issued by county officials had been circulated on social media, fuelling unnecessary alarm among members of the public.
Duale condemned the spread of misinformation, warning that fake reports about Ebola could undermine national preparedness efforts and create panic.
“The public is advised to rely only on official information issued by the Ministry of Health, KNPHI, WHO and Africa CDC,” he warned.
Despite confirming there is currently no outbreak in Kenya, the government has intensified surveillance measures across 22 counties considered vulnerable due to regional movement and cross-border interactions.

Among the counties placed on high-risk alert are Nairobi, Busia County, Bungoma County, Trans Nzoia County, Mombasa, Turkana County and Kericho County.
The Health Ministry said it is working closely with county governments and international health agencies, including the World Health Organization, to strengthen border screening, surveillance systems and rapid response mechanisms.
Kenya remains on heightened alert due to the escalating Ebola situation in neighbouring countries.
The latest outbreak was first reported in the DRC before cases were later detected in Uganda and South Sudan, raising fears of regional transmission.
Health officials say more than 500 infections and over 130 deaths have already been reported across affected areas as scientists continue efforts to contain the outbreak and accelerate vaccine research.
Also Read: Kiambu Student Dies in Custody as Family Demands Answers
