ODM Acting SG Catherine Omanyo’s Staff Shot Dead During Chaotic Busia Protests as Fury Mounts Over Police Conduct
A storm of outrage has erupted in Busia after a staff member attached to ODM Acting Secretary General and Busia Woman Representative Catherine Omanyo was allegedly shot dead by police during violent protests that rocked Busia Town on Tuesday.

The fatal incident, which has intensified scrutiny on the National Police Service (NPS), occurred amid running battles between anti-riot officers and angry demonstrators protesting over the rising cost of living and soaring fuel prices.
The deceased, identified as Frederick Odiwuor, popularly known as “Papa”, was reportedly caught in the chaos as tensions spiralled near Busia Police Station following an earlier alleged police shooting that had already enraged residents.
Witnesses claimed furious youths stormed the police station demanding answers, prompting officers to fire live bullets in a bid to disperse the swelling crowd.
Speaking on Wednesday morning, Ms Omanyo confirmed the death of her staff member and demanded immediate accountability from the authorities.
“I have received with deep sorrow the news of the passing of my staff member Frederick Odiwuor, popularly known as Papa,” she said.
“Papa succumbed to a bullet fired by a police officer in Busia. I am personally following up on the matter with the relevant authorities to ensure that the circumstances surrounding this incident are addressed and justice is pursued.”
According to residents, Odiwuor was a well-known barber operating within Busia Town and had reportedly rushed out after receiving alarming reports that suspected goons were planning to vandalise his business during the unrest.
Locals said he headed towards Busia Police Station to report the matter, only to find the area already engulfed in confusion, fear, and confrontation as protesters clashed with armed officers.
In the middle of the chaos, police allegedly opened fire.
Witnesses claimed Odiwuor was first hit by a bullet as people scattered for safety. As he attempted to flee the scene, residents alleged he was shot a second time from behind, with the bullet striking the left side of his chest near the heart.
The second gunshot reportedly left him paralysed moments before he succumbed to his injuries, despite desperate attempts by shocked residents to rescue him.
“The deceased left the house some moments ago, and after a short time, I received a call that someone I knew was among those shot by police,” a grieving relative said.
“On the way, I suspected something sinister despite the caller’s assurances that he was still alive. When I arrived, I found him completely cold.”
Another eyewitness accused police of using excessive force, claiming Odiwuor was never given a chance to explain why he had gone to the station.
“When he arrived there, the police did not inquire from him what had brought him there,” the resident claimed.
“What he heard was the first gunshot. He soon attempted to run away, and while escaping, he was shot for the second time, this time from behind.”
The incident has sparked anger among local leaders, with Okiya Omtatah condemning the shooting as “painful and deeply disturbing”.

The Busia Senator called for urgent investigations by the Interior Ministry, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA), and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) into the circumstances surrounding Odiwuor’s death.
As pressure mounts on security agencies, residents are now demanding answers over the use of live bullets during civilian protests, with fears growing that the deadly Busia confrontation could reignite fresh tensions in the region.
Also Read: Interior Ministry Seeks Ksh2BN for Police Recruitment and Welfare Upgrade
