Police clashed with protesters at Kihunguro along the Ruiru Bypass on Monday morning after demonstrations linked to the nationwide matatu strike descended into chaos, sparking running battles that brought traffic to a standstill.
Dramatic videos shared online showed anti-riot police officers chasing groups of youth along the busy highway as thick smoke billowed from burning tyres erected across the road.

The protesters, angered by soaring fuel prices and the rising cost of living, reportedly barricaded sections of the bypass using stones and debris, paralysing transport for hours and leaving hundreds of motorists stranded.
Witnesses said tensions escalated after demonstrators attempted to block vehicles from accessing the route, prompting heavily armed officers to intervene.
Police were forced to fire shots in the air in an effort to disperse the crowds as the confrontation intensified.
Officers later moved in to clear the roadblocks and extinguish burning tyres while commuters watched from a distance amid fears the violence could spread to neighbouring areas.
The unrest erupted on the first day of the nationwide matatu strike, which triggered widespread transport disruptions across several parts of the country.
Thousands of commuters in Nairobi and surrounding towns were left stranded after matatu operators withdrew services to protest against increased fuel prices announced by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).
By dawn, bus stations and roadside stages had already filled with frustrated passengers scrambling for alternative means of transport.
The few available taxis, boda bodas and private vehicles reportedly hiked fares sharply as desperate commuters struggled to reach workplaces and schools.
The strike was organised by the Transport Sector Alliance, a coalition bringing together passenger transport operators, cargo and logistics firms, ride-hailing services, motorcycle transport operators, tourism transport providers, school buses and private motorists.
Amid mounting tensions, the National Police Service (NPS) said security had been heightened nationwide following reports of planned demonstrations and possible disruptions linked to the strike.
In a statement, NPS spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga assured Kenyans that officers had been deployed across key areas to maintain law and order.
“The NPS wishes to assure Kenyans of their security as they go about their duties. Security measures have been enhanced, and any disruptive conduct will be dealt with firmly and in accordance with the law,” the statement read.
Police urged members of the public to remain calm and cooperate with officers deployed in various parts of the country.
The NPS further maintained that the strike had only been organised by “a minority of matatu operators and a section of public service transport actors”, insisting that the majority of stakeholders had committed to operating normally.
However, scenes witnessed in Nairobi, Ruiru and other urban centres painted a different picture as transport operations remained heavily disrupted throughout the morning.
By Monday afternoon, uncertainty still surrounded how long the strike would continue, with operators vowing to sustain pressure on the government until concerns over fuel prices and the rising cost of living were addressed.
The dramatic scenes on the Ruiru Bypass underscored the growing frustration among Kenyans over the escalating cost of transport and the wider economic strain facing households and businesses across the country.
Also Read: Nationwide Chaos as Protesters Block Highways During Matatu Shutdown
