Drone Hits Near UAE Nuclear Plant as Gulf Tensions Explode

The United Arab Emirates has launched an urgent investigation after a drone strike triggered a fire near the strategically sensitive Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, raising fresh fears over escalating regional tensions and the security of critical Gulf infrastructure.

According to the UAE Ministry of Defence, three drones entered the country from the “western border direction” on Sunday in what officials described as a serious breach of national security.

Air defence systems successfully intercepted two of the drones, but a third managed to strike an electrical generator located outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah nuclear facility in Abu Dhabi.

Authorities confirmed that the impact caused a fire, though no casualties or radiation leaks were reported.

In a statement, the defence ministry said investigations were underway “to determine the source of the attacks”, adding that the UAE remained “fully prepared and ready to address any threats and will firmly confront any attempts to undermine the country’s security”.

The Abu Dhabi Media Office confirmed that emergency teams responded immediately after the blaze erupted at the generator site.

Officials stressed that the incident did not compromise the plant’s operational integrity or nuclear safety systems.

“The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed that the fire did not affect the safety of the power plant or the readiness of its essential systems, and that all units are operating as normal,” the statement said.

The incident has also drawn concern from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which said it was closely monitoring developments.

IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi reportedly expressed “grave concern” over the strike, warning that “military activity that threatens nuclear safety is unacceptable”.

In remarks shared by the agency, Grossi called for “maximum military restraint” around nuclear facilities amid fears the region could slide deeper into conflict.

The UAE has not publicly identified the origin of the drone involved in the attack. However, Abu Dhabi has previously accused Iran of orchestrating attacks against Gulf energy and economic infrastructure following the outbreak of regional hostilities earlier this year.

Tehran launched retaliatory strikes across the region after joint US and Israeli operations targeted Iranian military assets on February 28, dramatically escalating tensions in the Gulf.

Iran has since accused the UAE and other US-aligned Gulf states of allowing American forces to launch operations from their territory — allegations strongly denied by Emirati officials.

Although the United States and Iran agreed to a ceasefire in April, sporadic exchanges and threats have continued to fuel fears of a wider regional conflict.

US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the fragile truce remained on “massive life support”, after rejecting Iranian demands linked to reopening the Strait of Hormuz — one of the world’s most critical global oil shipping routes.

Security analysts warn that any direct threat to nuclear infrastructure in the Gulf could have far-reaching geopolitical and economic consequences, particularly as instability continues to grip the wider Middle East.

Also Read: Gospel Artist Wandeto Suffers Severe Burns in Suspected Political Attack


Recent Articles