Orengo explodes over teargas claims at Linda Mwananchi rallies

Siaya Governor James Orengo has fiercely dismissed allegations that the Linda Mwananchi movement orchestrates teargas chaos at its own political rallies in a bid to discredit the government, branding the claims as “backward and primitive thinking”.

Speaking during an appearance on the Obinna Show on Saturday, the outspoken governor pushed back against growing accusations surrounding recent confrontations witnessed during Linda Mwananchi rallies, including a tense incident in Kakamega.

Orengo rejected suggestions that opposition figures linked to the movement could be responsible for engineering disruptions at their own gatherings before blaming state agencies.

“Kama teargas ni yetu mbona tuzime?” Orengo posed during the interview, questioning why opposition supporters would attempt to extinguish teargas if they had allegedly orchestrated the scenes themselves.

The veteran politician insisted the accusations were part of a calculated political campaign aimed at tarnishing opposition activities and weakening public confidence in the movement’s nationwide mobilisation drive.

He further claimed that rival political factions were operating in coordination with state machinery to frustrate opposition engagements with wananchi, although he stopped short of naming individuals involved.

“The other camp is working with the government,” Orengo alleged.

Referring specifically to the Kakamega confrontation, the governor argued that opposition leaders had actively appealed for calm rather than encouraging violence among supporters.

“Uliona kule Kakamega Sifuna alikuwa anasema zimeni hiyo kitu lakini musimpige,” he said, referencing efforts by opposition leaders to contain the situation during the rally.

Orengo maintained that the Linda Mwananchi rallies are peaceful civic forums focused on governance, accountability and citizen engagement — not platforms designed to provoke unrest or violent confrontations.

He accused critics of attempting to delegitimise the opposition’s growing grassroots influence by spreading what he termed misleading narratives about orchestrated chaos.

“That is a backward and primitive mindset,” he said.

The latest remarks come as the Linda Mwananchi movement intensifies countrywide tours amid deepening tensions within Orange Democratic Movement and heightened political realignments ahead of the 2027 General Election.

The faction has emerged as one of the administration’s most vocal critics, with leaders repeatedly accusing the government of intimidation tactics targeting opposition mobilisation efforts.

Orengo has previously declared that “no amount of intimidation, teargas, or chaos will stop the Linda Mwananchi Movement,” signalling the group’s intention to sustain its grassroots campaigns despite mounting political pressure.

Also Read: Arsenal Remembers Raila


Recent Articles