Gunman shot dead after opening fire near White House as terrified reporters forced to take cover

A gunman was shot dead by Secret Service agents after opening fire near the White House on Saturday evening in a dramatic security incident that sent journalists and staff scrambling for safety.
The suspect has been identified by CBS News as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a man reportedly known to both the US Secret Service and Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department, with sources claiming he had a documented history of mental health issues.
Officials confirmed that the shooting unfolded close to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, just steps away from the White House complex.
According to the Secret Service, the suspect pulled a revolver from a bag shortly before 6pm local time and began firing multiple shots in the direction of the area. Agents immediately returned fire, striking the suspect, who was later pronounced dead in hospital.
Authorities said between 10 and 20 gunshots were fired during the chaotic exchange.
One bystander was also injured during the incident, although officials have not yet released details about the victim’s condition. No Secret Service officers were wounded.
The shooting sparked an immediate lockdown around the White House complex, with heavily armed officers flooding the area as emergency vehicles rushed to the scene. Road closures remained in place late into the night as investigators continued to examine the scene.
CBS News reported that Best had previously attempted to gain access to the White House in July 2025 and was arrested nearby by Secret Service officers. A source familiar with the investigation claimed he was subsequently placed in psychiatric care and had been living in Washington DC for around 18 months.
President Donald Trump was reportedly inside the White House at the time of the shooting. While the president had not publicly commented by late Saturday evening, a White House official confirmed he had been briefed on the incident.

The terrifying moment unfolded in front of journalists gathered on the White House North Lawn, with several reporters describing scenes of panic after hearing rapid gunfire nearby.
ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Selina Wang shared footage appearing to show reporters diving for cover as loud bursts of gunfire echoed across the grounds.
“We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now,” Wang wrote in a post on X.
CBS News reporter Aaron Navarro told the BBC he was standing on the North Lawn when the shots rang out.
“At points it sounded like they were coming from different guns just outside the grounds,” he said.
“As soon as we heard it we ducked down and I started to see other reporters running. Shortly afterwards Secret Service officers were yelling: ‘Get inside, get inside.’”
Navarro said journalists were locked inside the White House briefing room for around 30 minutes while security teams secured the area outside.
He added: “It certainly is a tense moment generally when it comes to security and President Trump.”
CBS News producer Emma Nicholson also described hearing what sounded like multiple gunshots moments before reporters were rushed into the White House compound.
The incident comes amid heightened security concerns surrounding the White House and senior US officials following several recent threats and security scares in Washington DC.
The Secret Service said the investigation remains ongoing.
Also Read: Overnight Fire Destroys Nanyuki Market
